Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pig Killing Party!

I got to go to a pig killing party yesterday with teachers from my class! It was a lot of fun. Pig killing parties are when a family will kill its pig(s) and then have a party to celebrate and eat pork. These parties have started because it's finally cold enough out for decent refrigeration and will continue through December. I'm really looking forward to going to more of them. There's a ton of delicious food, and lots of friendly people.

I don't think I'll ever have to see a pig getting slaughtered (they need to drain), which I'm torn about. On one hand, I'm told it's a horrific experience--the pig screams, there's lots of blood, and it's really disturbing. On the other hand, I do eat meat, and I feel like I should be able to confront what exactly eating meat entails.

2 comments:

  1. Will, yay, a fun pig party! It sounds a lot better than the 'Welcome, Foreigner! Drink with us until we're all as flammable as paint rags!' events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Nora said! make sure they cook that pig until it is done!

    ReplyDelete