Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Back in the Swing of Things

I feel like I'm readjusted to teaching, and living at school, and things have been going well. While I might not be a good teacher yet, I'm a ton better than I was last semester, and I feel like classes are going more smoothly. As is normal, I have a ton of grading and worksheet making to do, but I've still had enough time to hang out with friends, and we're planning on playing some flag football this weekend (partially to rediscover how to throw a football and all that, but mostly just because it's gonna be lots of fun). 

This semester I've decided that rather than only tutoring the weakest kids in my class, I'm going to make every single kid in my class meet with me once a week so I can make sure they're not going off in the wrong direction, and just to give them a chance for some practice by themselves. During meals, I have 6-7 kids come and have little practice sessions. Last night was the group with the strongest (and hardest working) kids in my class, and it was awesome. These kids tend not to get much attention in my class because they quickly master the material, and are paying attention, so it was great to get some time to practice with them, and it was awesome how much English they've got down. It's made my entire week a lot better. 

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous plan! That is an amazing quantity of time you are giving up - but how wonderful for the kids - and nice to see the kids who are 'getting it' as well as those who are struggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, I wish I'd had the chance to learn a second language this way ... mkc

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a star! (That is an unbiased objective evaluation too.)

    ReplyDelete